Focused Sector(s): Water, Sustainable Livelihood, Disaster Preparedness and Risk Reduction (DPRR)
Project: Water, Livelihood and DPRR
Date and duration: September 2012 to September 2013 / 12 months
Location: Nam Cuong Commune, Tien Hai District, Thai Binh Province, North Vietnam
Beneficiaries: 3,200 people from three villages
- As a coastal community, the Nam Cuong Commune is vulnerable to natural disasters including typhoons and flooding, and their consequences, like water pollution.
- Such events can also seriously disrupt livelihoods in the community.
Intervention and Impact
- Trained the community in DPRR, including how to recognise signs of an impending typhoon, how to evacuate the community, and what to do in the immediate aftermath of a natural disaster
- Installed solar panels to generate energy to power a water purification system, resulting in clean and safe drinking water at a cheap price compared to using electricity
- Alternative farming practices such as the cultivation of salt-resistant rice varieties were introduced to secure income streams