Date: 3 December 2012
Category: 5 (Severe Tropical Cyclone)
Typhoon Bopha, which made landfall in the southern Philippine island of Mindanao on 3 December 2012, was the strongest tropical cyclone to hit the island in recorded history. Massive flooding and landslides caused widespread destruction and claimed 1,000 lives, with hundreds more missing. Almost a million people were displaced by the disaster, and thousands had to reside in evacuation centres. Mercy Relief responded within 20 hours to appeals from local authorities for humanitarian aid.
Partner(s): Citizen Disaster Response Center (CDRC)
How we helped:
- Sent three response teams who distributed over $60,000 worth of relief aid:
- Procured and distributed food relief packs, non-food items and hygiene kits to 1,000 families.
- Procured and distributed 200 sets of tarpaulins and jerry cans as well two PedalPure water filtration systems
- Implemented a Cash-for-Work programme to help with the rebuilding of devastated homes so that families could quickly return to some form of normalcy
- Made a public appeal for funds in Singapore between 7 and 31 December 2012