Date: 19 December 2006
Heavy rains during the 2006 monsoon season resulted in an unexpected rise in tidal inflow in Malaysia, leading to mudslides and floods that displaced more than 23,000 people and cut off access to basic necessities like clean water. Mercy Relief responded to the crisis immediately, providing help in Muar, one of the worst affected areas.
Partner(s): Land Rover Owners (Singapore), Mercy Malaysia
How we helped:
- Sent a convoy of nine vehicles with Land Rover Owners
- Supported the relief efforts of Mercy Malaysia:
- Provided 3,000 hygiene kits, milk and cereal supplies
- Distributed 100 water filters
- Conducted nutrition programmes for children and the elderly
- Helped in setting up a medical warehouse
- Provided logistics support for the distribution of aid supplies to six evacuation centres that housed 5,000 Internally Displaced Persons.