- Focused Sector(s): Water & Sanitation
- Project: Healthy Community
- Date and duration: Oct 2017/ 8 months
- Location: Railaco Vila, Railaco Subdistrict, Ermera Municipality
- Beneficiaries: 1,967 people
- Partner: Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Decades of conflict and ongoing insecurity and political instability have hindered Timor Leste’s progress in addressing long-term development priorities. As a result, access to improved water and sanitation also remains poor in the country.
A gravity-fed pipeline was constructed from a spring source into Railaco town, where water is now provided to each household and school all year round. Over 2,000 community members and students are now able to use latrines, save time and effort in fetching water from the river daily and consume it directly. A water management committee was set up and trained to ensure the continued operations and maintenance of the system