Focused Sector(s): Education
Project: Education Quality Improvement Programme (EQUIP)
Date and duration: January 2009 – December 2010 (12 months)
Location: Kota Kayuagung Sub-district, Ogan Komering Illir District, South Sumatra Province
Beneficiaries: 30 principals and 60 teachers from 15 schools with 5,000 students
- 65 per cent of the teachers and principals were under-qualified
- Schools still practiced traditional teaching methods such as rote learning
- Almost none of the teachers had received training on modern, stimulating teaching methods
- Students were unmotivated, resulting in poor performance at school
Intervention and Impact
- Introduced intensive workshops on leadership qualities and managerial skills for principals and superintendents
- Conducted an intensive year-long professional development training programme for teachers, who reported higher confidence levels and job satisfaction, and encouraged more creative and critical thinking among their students.
- The more conducive learning environment resulted in improved English performance amongst students, giving them an advantage when embarking on their careers
Share this article!