Focused Sector(s): Sanitation, Healthcare
Project: Eco-Sanitation and Livelihood Enhancement
Date and duration: June 2011 / 6 months
Location: Jianyang County, Sichuan Province
Beneficiaries: 170 villagers from 50 households
- Shijia Village is one the largest and poorest villages in Xinshi Town. The land is infertile and has high water run-off since it is on a hill, resulting in low output from farming
- Limited resources and knowledge on how to treat pigs’ excreta resulted in poor sanitation
- The burning of wood and coal led to an unhealthy living environment
- Poor road and living conditions
Intervention and Impact
- Installed 50 units of anaerobic biogas digesters that allow biogas fuel to be harvested from stored excrement. The residue is used as fertilizer for crops
- Revamped the sanitation environment by improving sanitation facilities. We also provided training on the importance of good sanitary practices, and on the proper use and maintenance of equipment and facilities
- The villagers now have both a waste management system and an alternative energy source. The environmentally-friendly practices implemented (such as substituting firewood and coal with biogas for cooking and lighting), and better sanitary facilities have also created a healthier living environment.
- Generated savings for the villagers
Share this article!