Focused Sector(s): Education, Livelihood
Project: Cargill’s Mangrove Information Centre
Date and duration: 2010 / 3 months
Location: Zambales, Palauig
Beneficiaries: General Public
- Coastal communities were very poor
- Threats to livelihood (fishing) as a result of climate change and natural disasters
- Environmental degradation due to man-made activities
Intervention and Impact
- Established a Mangrove Information Centre to help the public learn more about environmental degradation, rehabilitation and conservation. It contains an orientation hall, an access walkway with a floating pathway, and an area for planting mangrove seedlings.
- Eco-friendly materials were used in its construction.
- The centre provides supplementary income to the committee of villagers that manages the area through the sale of mangrove seedlings.
Share this article!