SINGAPORE, 26 September – MERCY Relief, Singapore’s leading independent disaster relief agency, is deploying a three-person team to conduct aid distribution in Bangladesh, where over 436,000 people have settled in makeshift camps. The affected communities have been displaced after fleeing the humanitarian crisis in Rakhine State of Myanmar.
With S$100,000 pledged to the relief efforts, the team will begin distribution of critical supplies and conduct needs assessment on the ground. During the operation, the team will be distributing items such as shelter kits and solar lamps in collaboration with Singaporean partners, billionBricks and Solight Asia. Other immediate relief items also include blankets and dignity kits to meet women’s hygienic needs. The team will be joined by a representative from its partner organisation, billionBricks during the operations.
“We have been closely monitoring the situation in Rakhine and we are devastated by the loss of lives and displacements of thousands. A majority of new arrivals are children, women and the elderly. Basic survival needs aside, the safety of these vulnerable groups in over-populated evacuation camps is another critical issue we will be looking into.” said Mercy Relief Executive Director Zhang Tingjun, who will be part of the response team heading to Bangladesh.
Mercy Relief will be launching a public fundraising appeal in Singapore. Members of the public can also make their donations via the following channels:
1) Credit Card donation via Mercy Relief’s website: www.mercyrelief.org
2) Crossed cheque made out to “Mercy Relief Limited” with “Bangladesh Refugee Crisis Relief” and email address written on the back of the cheque, and mailed to Blk 160, Lorong 1 Toa Payoh, #01-1568, Singapore 310160
3) Cash donations at Blk 160, Lorong 1 Toa Payoh, #01-1568, Singapore 310160
4) Fund transfer to Mercy Relief’s DBS Current Account 054-900742-0
5) Crowdfund via giving.sg for the “Bangladesh Refugee Crisis Relief”: http://bit.ly/BGRC2017